CASA MYRNA VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
The Casa Myrna Volunteer Program provides a unique opportunity for individuals and groups to make a lasting and meaningful impact in the lives of domestic violence survivors and their children. In the past year, we supported thousands of people through our comprehensive work. Volunteers are part of our important efforts to help survivors create a safe, loving, and self-sufficient future for themselves and their children. By joining our Volunteer Program, you will also become part of a movement that works to end domestic and dating violence.
We welcome volunteers with diverse backgrounds and a passion for social change! Casa Myrna greatly appreciates the time, energy, and dedication of our volunteers.
AS A CASA MYRNA VOLUNTEER YOU WILL:
- Learn about the root causes of domestic violence
- Make a meaningful impact in the lives of survivors and their children
- Develop advocacy skills
- Learn how to mobilize your community and raise awareness about the issue of domestic violence
- Join the movement to end domestic and dating violence
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
SafeLink Hotline Volunteers
SafeLink, our statewide domestic violence hotline, receives more than 30,000 calls a year. SafeLink volunteers will work alongside SafeLink Advocates to provide over-the-phone advocacy to hotline callers, including supportive listening, safety planning, and crisis intervention. SafeLink is often the first point of contact for a domestic violence survivor to Casa Myrna. Volunteers play a vital role in responding with care and compassion and providing critical resources.
- Mondays and Tuesdays 4pm-8pm
- Thursdays 9am-1pm
Children’s Services Volunteers
Children’s Services volunteers will help provide developmentally appropriate childcare for the children living in Casa Myrna’s residential programs and engage families in a variety of activities. Survivors who live in our shelters take part a variety of parenting groups, house meetings, and other courses. Volunteers engage with children, from infants up to pre-teens, to read together, play games, and assist with homework so that their parents can stay focused on their commitments while they work toward self-sufficiency. Children’s Services volunteers play a critical role in modeling loving, constructive, and positive behaviors by adults, reinforcing what parents are learning.
- Mondays and Tuesdays 4:30pm-6pm
- All direct service volunteers are required to complete Casa Myrna’s 35-hour comprehensive domestic violence training (offered in the Fall and Spring)
- Commitment of at least one year of volunteer service
- Background check
- Attendance of regularly scheduled supervision and other department meetings
- Adherence to all department policies and procedures
Program Engagement Volunteers will have an opportunity to be involved in a variety of activities with Casa Myrna program participants and their children. These volunteers will help enrich our families’ lives by recognizing milestones during the year, teaching new skills and perspectives; and providing vital food, clothing, and household items to meet survivors’ ongoing basic needs.
- Adopt a residential program to develop ties with families over the course of a year: provide gifts for special occasions, including Christmas, Mother’s Day, and graduation; and commit to the following additional activities.*
- Host an event or a celebration for Casa Myrna residents and their children
- Provide a workshops or facilitate classes at our residential programs
- Adopt our Food Pantry or our Guest Resource Center
Flexible shifts and time commitment
- Attend an orientation at Casa Myrna programs
- Background check
- *We request a year-long commitment from individuals or groups who are adopting a program
Special Projects Volunteers work on a variety of projects designed to match volunteers’ skill sets with Casa Myrna’s programmatic needs. These volunteers respond to the ongoing needs that arise in our shelters or for our overall organizational efforts. This work is critical to support the work of our programs and promote Casa Myrna and the issue of domestic violence broadly.
- Help organize/clean our shelters, including seasonal yard work projects
- Provide administrative support
- Share your creativity and skill to help re-design and support our website
- Assist with an outreach project or event
- Host a fundraising event at your home, office, or other location. Our Development staff will work closely with you to plan all details of the event to ensure a successful event to cultivate donors, educate guests about domestic violence, and raise critical funds for Casa Myrna.
Requirements for the Special Projects Volunteers will depend on the nature and length of the project.
HOW TO APPLY:
Fill out our online application or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may be asked to submit a resume and three professional references. We look forward to working with you and appreciate your support!
JOIN THE CASA MYRNA COMMUNITY ONLINE: